ACSI is at the forefront of advocating a space for Christian Education. ACSI regularly submits formal communications to policymakers, elected officials and courts which address various concerns and legislation affecting religious education, nonprofits and religious freedom. We partner with like-minded organizations to increase our voice on important issues.
- 09.15.20 Update from Washington D.C. by P. George Tryfiates
Update includes ESSER funds, COVID-19 funding, 9/11 Remembrance, Constitution Day, and the Key 16 Prayer Card
- 09.04.20 Lawsuits regarding CARES Act ESSER Funds - see ACSI Memo below
- 09.04.20 Deferral of Social Security Payroll Taxes - COVID Relief - see ACSI Memo below
- 08.20.20 - HEALS Act
Health, Economic Assistance, Liability Protection and Schools (HEALS) Act, announced by the Senate on Monday, July 27, 2020 as a package of several bills. This is the Senate’s Phase 4 COVID-19 package. The HEALS Act would provide another round of checks to taxpayers; it provides liability protections for businesses and institutions as they reopen; and, includes substantial consideration of private sector schools.
ACSI is active in the legislative process by signing coalition letters, sending out legal alerts explaining the issues to stakeholders and voter voice emails making it easy for constituents to let legislators know their viewpoint and why.
ACSI makes a persuasive case before a judge by means of a friend of the court brief (amicus brief). This is an important method for having a voice in the judicial branch. This is usually a collaborative effort whereby multiple groups that agree with a particular line of argument present a unified case to the court for consideration. ACSI has signed many amicus briefs with others, some of which the Supreme Court has cited in their rulings.
ACSI does a number of other things to advocate Christian education, through media, press conferences, and other means.
Fox News Article 09.20.20 - ACSI speaks into national funding needs for private schools
- 06.25.20 CARES Act Equitable Services
See all Coalition Letters
- 09.04.20 Regarding CARES Act ESSER/GEER Funds Michigan v. DeVos
- 09.04.20 Regarding CARES Act ESSER/GEER Funds Washington v. DeVos
- 09.04.20 Regarding CARES Act ESSER/GEER Funds NAACP v. DeVos
- 02.10.20 Regarding the merits of the Our Lady of Guadalupe case (Ministerial Exception)
- 09.30.19 Requesting the US Supreme Court take the Our Lady of Guadalupe case (Ministerial Exception)
- 09.18.19 Regarding the merits of the Espinoza case (School Choice)
- 04.12.19 Requesting the US Supreme Court take the Espinoza case (School Choice)
See all Amicus Briefs
- 07.08.20 US Supreme Court Decision on Our Lady of Guadalupe School v. Agnes Morrissey-Berru (Ministerial Exception)
- 06.30.20 US Supreme Court Decision on Espinoza v. Montana Department of Revenue (School Choice)
See all Court Decisions
ACSI Legal Alerts and Memos on Court Decisions
- 09.04.20 ACSI Memo on Lawsuits Regarding CARES Act ESSER Funds
- 09.04.20 ACSI Memo Regarding Deferral of Social Security Payroll Taxes - COVID Relief
- 07.20.20 ACSI Memo CARES Act Equitable Services
See all ACSI Legal Alerts and Memos