Today’s Final House Vote on the Equality Act (HR 5)
Thank you once again for all who contacted their Member of Congress urging him or her to vote against the controversial and harmful Equality Act (HR 5). The House passed the legislation today, May 17, 2019, by a vote of 236 – 173 with 23 not voting. See how your Member voted here. The Senate is not expected to take up the bill, but we will certainly be watching if that should change.
It’s worth noting that prior to the floor vote, a Member made a Motion to Recommit the bill to committee in order to re-evaluate its impact on women’s sports since the legislation can lead to a requirement that sports allow transgendered biological males to compete with women. That motion was defeated 181 – 228 which allowed the House to move to final passage of the Equality Act itself.
There were several powerful speeches by Members urging their colleagues to vote Nay. One of those was by Rep. Virginia Foxx (R-NC), the Ranking Member on the House Education and Labor Committee. The text and video can be accessed here.
Again, thank you to everyone who reached out to their Member of Congress on this key issue. Very nearly 17,000 of you sent emails to Congress. That is a major achievement and we are grateful. Stronger Together!
Equality Act (HR 5) Update
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
Thank you to everyone who has responded to our appeal to contact your Member of Congress. The response has been tremendous! The ACSI Christian school community has sent over 16,000 emails to Congress so far. The most recent news is that the House of Representatives is expected to vote on Friday, May 17th. Please continue to spread the word. Thank you.
To take action, please click here.
Please see below for additional resources.
- ACSI prepared a written statement April 8, 2019 for the House Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services.
- ACSI signed a coalition letter April 8, 2019 to the House Education and Labor Committee.
- ACSI signed a coalition letter April 1, 2019 to the House Judiciary Committee.
- The full text of H.R. 5, the Equality Act.
- ACSI Blog: Christian Schools & Addressing Cultural Challenges
- The All for Freedom website has a great deal of information on the Equality Act. The All for Freedom resource page lists a wide array of expert information.
- The Equality Act vs. religious freedom: Equality for me, but not for thee John Stonestreet and David Carlson | The Christian Post | April 8, 2019
- The Equality Act and the Threat to Religious Freedom, with Andrew Walker John Stonestreet, Andrew Walker | BreakPoint.org | March 18, 2019
- The Equality Act Accelerates Anti-Christian Bias Andrew T. Walker | The Gospel Coalition | March 11, 2019
- FAQ: What Christians Should Know About the Equality Act The Gospel Coalition
- Poll: Americans Oppose Potential Consequences of SOGI Protections The Heritage Foundation
- SOGI Proposals: Unfair and Unjust Alliance Defending Freedom
- The Victims of SOGI Laws Alliance Defending Freedom
- Backgrounder: How to Think About Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity (SOGI) Policies and Religious Freedom Ryan T. Anderson, PhD | The Heritage Foundation
- Backgrounder: Gender Identity Policies in Schools: What Congress, the Courts, and the Trump Administration Should Do Ryan T. Anderson, PhD and Melody Wood | The Heritage Foundation
- 7 Reasons Why the Equality Act Is Anything But Monica Burke | March 14, 2019
- Ex-Gay Pastor's Counseling of Those Questioning Their Sexuality Could Be at Risk With Equality Act Katrina Trinko, Daniel Davis | May 7, 2019
- Why These Feminists Oppose Pelosi's Equality Act Rachel del Guidice | January 28, 2019
- The Inequality of H.R. 5 The Heritage Foundation | March 31, 2019
- Evidence Shows Sexual Orientation Can Change: Debunking the Myth of "Immutability" Peter Sprigg | Family Research Council
- Feminists, Conservatives Join Forces to Oppose 'Equality Act' Natasha Chart & Penny Nance | RealClear Politics
- Why The So-Called Equality Act Is A Bait-and-Switch Power Grab Stella Morabito | The Federalist | April 22, 2019