Essential Elements of a Christian School
ACSI believes that Christian schools exist to support parents in fulfilling their biblical responsibility to educate children. Our intent is not to define each school's philosophy but to provide a starting point, a framework consisting of five essential elements upon which Christian schools can build and implement their own philosophy.
- Intellectual Development
- Christian Educators
- Potential in Christ
- Operational Integrity
Scripture is the revealed Word of God and is taught as truth, and that truth is integrated into the learning experience. Students are taught that:
- All truth is God's truth.
- They are created in the image of God. (Genesis 1:26-27)
- They must confront the issue of sin and redemption. (1 John 1:9)
- They can know God as revealed in Christ and made present through the Holy Spirit. (Luke 11:3, John 20:22)
- God's Word permeates and is integrated with every aspect of the curriculum.
The Christian mind should be the best mind, enlightened by the mind of Christ and having integrated God's principles with academic pursuits. The aim is to develop students with a biblical worldview who are well prepared academically with an emphasis on the following:
- Accurately interpreting the Word of God
- Mastering communication skills
- Showing proficiency in mathematics and science
- Understanding history and God's activity in it
- Appreciating literature and the arts
- Reasoning and critical thinking
- Finding, analyzing, evaluating, and appropriately using information
The Christian school must have a board, administration, faculty, and staff who are committed followers of Christ, teaching and leading from a biblically integrated perspective. Those engaged with the school's governance, leadership, and teaching will
- Model Christ in their teaching and leading
- Understand and focus on achieving the school's vision and expected outcomes
- Reflect and support the school's mission and core values
Potential in Christ
Every learning experience aims to engage students toward their full potential in Christ. Teaching will include a focus on
- Providing programs and services appropriate for the student
- Establishing awareness of the student's relationship and responsibility to society
- Developing students intellectually, spiritually, socially, emotionally, and physically through every curricular activity
- Making disciples
- Preparing for works of service
- Developing an eternal view of life
The school's day-to-day operational practices are a consistent model of integrity, efficiency, and accountability. Biblical values and standards are consistently implemented in every aspect of the school's operation.
- Governance reflects the high road to policy development and accountability.
- People resources are managed ethically and justly.
- Financial issues are managed and monitored with integrity and disclosure.
- Relations with the government and its agencies are straightforward and Christlike.
- Development and marketing strategies are ethical, clear, and open.
- Classroom management is consistent and fair.
- Parent relations reflect honesty, openness, and fairness.