Fellow International Christian Educator,
As I write this Snapshot, I’m winging my way to Indonesia to assist two international member schools as they prepare for reaccreditation. My colleagues, Tim Thompson, Mike Epp, and David Wilcox have already traveled for similar purposes at the start of this new school year with many more trips to come. As you can imagine, much of our service involves global travel to connect or consult with you. As I often say, we get a front-row seat to see God at work around the world. Our greatest pleasure is seeing you fully engaged in your calling as creative Christian educators and then seeing the resulting difference you and your school make in the lives of students and communities.
While our work means time away from home and lingering jetlag, we love what we do. Sometimes late at night, traveling at 885 kph in the darkness on some long-haul flight, I reflect on God’s love and care and I’m reminded of Psalm 139:7–14 …
“Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night," even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you. For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.” (ESV)
Dear international educator, whether you are working in one of the world’s largest cities or in a remote village location, the Lord sees you right where you are!
Blessings to all of you,
- JOB FAIR. Job Fair 2019. By the time you read this Snapshot the job fair is just a couple of weeks away. It is important that you ask the Lord to provide the right people to join your team. This article not only covers how to prepare for our job fair, it also gives you some tips for recruiting staff year-round.
- ICEC Africa—Register NOW. The International Christian Educator Conference (ICEC) will take place on the campus of Kigali International Community School 1–4 April 2020. Keynote speakers include Research Fellow, Dr. Natasha Moore, at Centre for Public Christianity, Sandra Paetkau, consultant and founder of The Total Tech-Over, and Phil Dow, Superintendent of Rosslyn Academy, Nairobi, Kenya, and author of Virtuous Minds.
- Calling heads of school around the world (not just Europe). International School Leaders Conference (ISLC) will be held on 26–28 April 2020 in Dubrovnik, Croatia, at the beautiful Kompas Hotel. Come and meet ACSI’s new President, Dr. Larry Taylor. Keynote speakers include Dr. Roger Parrott, President of Belhaven University, author of “The Longview, Lasting Strategies for Rising Leaders,” and Sandra Paetkau, consultant and founder The Total Tech-Over.
- Check out the Life & Faith Podcast entitled, The “Christian” Classroom - why might someone who’s not religious want to send their kids to a faith-based school? This episode features an interview with Dr. David I. Smith, recent keynote speaker at ICEC Prague and author of, On Christian Teaching, Practicing Faith in the Classroom. David’s interviewer is Dr. Natasha Moore, our upcoming keynote speaker at ICEC Kigali.
- Every school leader (and leadership team member) should take a moment to read this sobering article from Barrett Mosbacker entitled, How Shifting Values Will Affect Our Schools. While the article focuses primarily upon US schools, it has value to international schools as well.
- Collaborative Training. Have you considered taking an online course with the educators around the world? ACSI Europe has developed a full set of online collaborative courses for you that includes CEUs at completion. See the full list of course here.
- Policy Governance. From Governing for Impact, “Looking for a precise description of the 10 principles of the Policy Governance model? This document lays out what is and is not Policy Governance.”
- If you are from or working in Europe, are a TCK, or working with TCKs, then EuroTCK is for you. Educare is a fantastic publication by the EuroTCK team and you can access 12 years of Educare articles here. Here is a link to the latest Educare – this one covers two topics: welcoming a new family to your team and how to explain the American education systems to outsiders. Many helpful links are included.
- China International School Market analysis. “China is the largest and fastest growing international schools market in the world.” ISC Research once again provides an excellent analysis here.
- Recruiting Tips for the Christian International School. Recruiting staff for the international school is a year-round activity. This document is a collection of recruiting ideas for international schools that covers a lot of ground. The next recruiting cycle is already beginning.
- Facebook – ACSI USA. Do you follow ACSI-USA on Facebook? The USA page enjoys highlighting member school stories wherever they exist. Do you have a great story to tell? Stories of God at work or about an innovative practice? Impact on a family’s life, a town, a city? An academic milestone for your school? Submit your brief story proposals to firstname.lastname@example.org and maybe yours will get selected. This may also be a great way to increase the profile of your school.
- Book Recommendation. Last month I recommended the book, Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better, by Brant Hansen. This month it is my pleasure to recommend a new book by head of school Mike Potter entitled Life is Messy. Some of you will remember that Mike was a keynote speaker at ICEC Hong Kong in 2016. In this book, Mike takes us with him “on a journey of re-discovery of faith, hope and the all-sufficiency of Christ, even though he found himself on a road marked with suffering, that seemed, at times, to be never ending.” This book will encourage your heart.
- New ways to pray with us. In place of our Global Prayer Guide, we are now launching a new interactive prayer group called International Schools Prayer Community on ACSI’s Community platform. All you have to do in login into community using your ACSI credentials, search for “International Schools Prayer Community”, and then click on Join Community. Joining will allow you to post prayer requests (these will be moderated according the group’s standards and limits) and to be alerted to new prayer items that are posted.
- The ACSI Blog. Have you read the latest ACSI Blog post?
The Big 2-Minute Poll
- What is your role this year?
- What is causing you to lean more heavily on the Lord at this season?
- We would love to know … where are you right now as you read this Snapshot? (City and country only.)
See the results of last month’s survey about PFO and impact here. We only had eight participants, but we appreciate the input, both positive and negative.