4. Student Issues
ACSI Articles and Forms
- see Resource Category #10 Health Issues
- see Resource Category #7 Operational Issues
- "Friendly" Fire: Custody Battles and Schools
- Code of Conduct for Students
- The Student-Teacher Bond: How Close is Too Close
- U.S. Supreme Court Rules on Student Strip Searches
- Sexting and the Christian School Student
- Student Sexting: A Serious Issue in Need of a Thoughtful Response
- Preventing Child Abuse on Campus
- Foreign Exchange Students: What are Your School's Rights and Obligations?
- $41.7 Million Jury Verdict Against School Triggers Scrutiny of Travel Abroad Programs
- Don't Get Benched: Recent Legal Trends in Athletics
- Is Expulsion a Breach of Contract?
- Locker Searches
- Search and Seizure Policies and Procedures
- Permission to Use Student Photographs
- The Buckley Amendment and Student Records (FERPA)
- Service Animals in School
- Students with Disabilities and Accommodations
- Students, Accidents, and Your School's Liability
- Risk Factors for SES and SDS Children - Low Resource Children
- Court Allows "Titanic" Case to Move Forward
- $3 Million Jury Verdict in Preschool Child Sexual Abuse Case Teaches Four Important Lessons
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Settlements Reached in Seven States to Ensure Website Accessibility for People with Disabilities
- Standing in the Gap for Suicidal Students
Student Supervision and Discipline Issues
- Practicing Redemptive Discipline - Parts 1-3
- Supervision: How Much Is Enough?
- Ski Trip Gone Awry
- Do Students Need to Be Given Miranda Warnings?
- Should Preschool Programs Adopt an Aggression Policy?
- Q&A: Student Cell Phone Problem
- Do Schools Have the Right to Suspend Students for YouTube Postings?
- Early Education Supervision Policies
- Can Students Be Suspended for Comments on a Blog?
- School's Failure to Supervise Students Not the Cause of Student's Injury
- Do Field Trip Permission Forms Waive Liability for Schools?
- Sexual Assault of Preschooler in Restroom
- Dealing with Student Threats - Part 1 of 2
- Dealing with Student Threats - Part 2 of 2
- Dealing with Bullying Activity
- The Viciousness of Virtual Bullying
Other Helpful Resources
- An Administrator's Guide to California Private School Law: Written and published by the West Coast law firm Liebert Cassidy Whitmore. This resource provides California-specific laws and rulings as they apply to private education in fifteen areas.
Please contact us with Helpful Resource suggestions.
Notice: These articles are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. They have been provided to member schools with the understanding that ACSI is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. Laws vary by jurisdiction and the specific application of laws to particular facts requires the advice of an attorney.