5. Personnel/Employment Issues
ACSI Articles and Forms
- Distribution of Employee Handbooks
- Arbitration—New Employment Agreement
- Can an Employee Be Fired for Filing Bankruptcy?
- Jury Duty: The Employer's Obligation
- Thoroughly Screen All Job Applicants
- HIPPAA Privacy Rules
- Is it Legal to Fire Employees for Contrary Religioius Beliefs?
- Trojan Horse Privacy Laws: Facebook Snooping
- Legalized Marijuana: No Longer Someone Else's Problem
- Daycare Centers and Preschools Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- ACSI Wants to Protect Your School!
- Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes at the EEOC
- Employee Handbooks: What Does Yours Contain?
- Employee Versus Independent Contractor in the Christian School
- The Story of GINA, or Who Knew Genetic Information Could Cause So Much Trouble?
- Interview Checklist—The 25 Forbidden Questions
- Is Transgender Discrimination Considered Sex Discrimination?
- Love Gifts and Benevolent Assistance
- Moral Problems of School Employees Parts 1-2 (with some forms)
- School Tuition Discounts and Bartering
- Providing Tax-Free Tuition Discounts for School Employees
- Severance Agreements Can Be Helpful in Ticklish Employment Decisions
- Sexual Orientation Discrimination under Title VII: Exploring the Developing Circuit Split
- Teacher Fired After Becoming Pregnant Through Artificial Insemination
- The Department of Labor Decides Not to Defend the DOL Final Rule Regarding Overtime
- The Ministry of Teaching
- Student-Teacher Bond: How Close Is Too Close
- U.S. Court of Appeals Issues a Key "Ministerial Exception" Ruling
- What Belongs in the Employee's Personnel File?
- When Does a Called Teacher or Administrator Qualify for a Housing Allowance?
- Another Test of the Ministerial Exception
- Employers Must Use New 1-9 by September 18, 2017
- Ministry Organization Implications of the Masterpiece Cakeshop Decision
- Recent Legislation Affects Qualified Retirement Plans
Americans with Disabilities Act
Court Cases - Personnel Issues
- Religious Hiring and the US Supreme Court - Twice Over
- Avoid Workers' Comp Liability at Employee Events
- Constructive Discharge Ruled a Tangible Employment Action
- Goldilocks Test of Religiosity Suffers Another Legal Setback
- The U.S. Supreme Court and Employment Retaliation
- Personality Test Runs into Trouble with ADA
- Rights of At-Will Employees Are Limited
- Teacher Fired for Lying on Employment Application
Employee Evaluations and References
Fair Labor Standards Act - Equal Pay Act
- A Primer on the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Updated 2018
- Tough "Compensation" Issues for Coaches, Volunteers, and Employees
- DOL Issues New Opinion Letters Regarding Compensation for Training Time
- Compensable Time? What Nonprofits Need to Know Regarding Their Nonexempt Employees
- California Governor Signs SB 621 Permitting the Salary-Basis Test for Part-Time Teachers at Private Schools to be Prorated and Permitting Private Schools to Use Public School District Salary Data in Effect from the Prior School Year
- FLSA, Nonexempt Employees, and Mobile Technology
- Federal Judge Strikes Down Overtime Rule
- Department of Labor Publishes FAQs Regarding Furloughs and Other Reduction-in-Pay Issues
- FLSA for Preschools
- Lunch and Rest Breaks
- Is a School Liable for the Accident of an Employee Who Leaves the Campus During a Break?
- Nonexempt Employee Arrival and Departure Times
- Recouping School Property and Advanced Vacation Time
- USDOL Releases Long-Awaited Proposed Overtime Rule
Family and Medical Leave Act
Medical & Health Insurance Issues
Q&A - Personnel Issues
- Employee Handbooks
- Giving Gift Cards to Employees
- What Schools Must Prove to Make Employee Decisions on Faith
- Mandatory "Volunteering"
- Nonrenewal of a Teacher Contract
- Should Christian Schools Have an Employee Drug Testing Policy?
- Risk of Not Renewing a One Year Contract
- How Long Should We Keep Employee Records
- Lack of Performance and Termination of an Employee
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act
Other Helpful Resources
- AskJAN.org: The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a project of the Department of Labor and provides confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues both for employees and employers. The site also offers a free consultation service where you can ask questions and seek help.
- An Administrator's Guide to California Private School Law: Written and published by the West Coast law firm Liebert Cassidy Whitmore. This resource provides California-specific laws and rulings as they apply to private education in 15 areas.
- SHRM: Society for Human Resource Management is one of the leading organziations providing guidance in the area of HR management.
Please contact us with Helpful Resource suggestions
Notice: These articles are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. They have been provided to member schools with the understanding that ACSI is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. Laws vary by jurisdiction and the specific application of laws to particular facts requires the advice of an attorney.