5. Personnel/Employment Issues
ACSI Articles and Forms
- ACSI Memo Regarding the U.S. Department of Labor's Final Rule on New Minimum Salary for Exempt Employees
- Determining Exempt and Nonexempt Employees
- A Brief Overview of Unemployment Compensation Taxes
- Employee Handbooks
- Distribution of Employee Handbooks
- Giving Gift Cards to Employees
- Arbitration—New Employment Agreement
- Can an Employee Be Fired for Filing Bankruptcy?
- Jury Duty: The Employer's Obligation
- FMLA and the Courts
- Thoroughly Screen All Job Applicants
- Background Checks A Must!
- HIPPAA Privacy Rules
- The U.S. Supreme Court and Mediation/Arbitration Clauses
- Maternity Leave and FMLA: The Differences
- Is it Legal to Fire Employees for Contrary Religioius Beliefs?
- Your School May Discriminate on a Religious Basis in Personnel Decisions
- What Schools Must Prove to Make Employee Decisions on Faith
- Trojan Horse Privacy Laws: Facebook Snooping
- Legalized Marijuana: No Longer Someone Else's Problem
- Daycare Centers and Preschools Under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Tough "Compensation" Issues for Coaches, Volunteers, and Employees
- A Primer on the Fair Labor Standards Act
Other Helpful Resources
- AskJAN.org: The Job Accommodation Network (JAN) is a project of the Department of Labor and provides confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues both for employees and employers. The site also offers a free consultation service where you can ask questions and seek help.
- An Administrator's Guide to California Private School Law: Written and published by the West Coast law firm Liebert Cassidy Whitmore. This resource provides California-specific laws and rulings as they apply to private education in 15 areas.
- SHRM: Society for Human Resource Management is one of the leading organziations providing guidance in the area of HR management.
Please contact us with Helpful Resource suggestions
Notice: These articles are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. They have been provided to member schools with the understanding that ACSI is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. Laws vary by jurisdiction and the specific application of laws to particular facts requires the advice of an attorney.