|Title||Interview Checklist - The 25 Forbidden Questions|
|Preview||25 questions that cannot be asked in employment interviews|
Interview Checklist—The 25 Forbidden Questions
Check each forbidden question to indicate your awareness that it cannot be asked in employment interviews.
1. "How old are you?"
2. "What is your date of birth?" (You may ask, "Do you meet the state minimum age requirement for work?" ...)
Forbidden Questions-Availability for Work and Travel
3. "Can you work Saturdays and Sundays?"
4. "Do you have children?"
5. "What are your child care arrangements?" (You may ask, "These are the hours of work-can you attend work during these hours?" and "Work sometimes requires overtime. Can you work such a schedule?" and "Do you have any obligations that would keep you from work-related travel?")
Forbidden Questions-Birthplace and Citizenship
6. "Where were you born?"
7. "What is your native language?" (You may ask, "Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?")
Forbidden Questions-Clubs and Affiliations
8. "To what organizations do you belong?"
9. "Do you want to tell me about any of your memberships relating to the performance of this job?"
10. "Do you have a disability?"
11. "Have you ever filed for workers' compensation?"
12. "Have you ever been treated for any of the following conditions or diseases (followed by a checklist of various illnesses)?"
13. "How many days were you absent from work because of illness last year?"
14. "What prescription medications are you taking?"
15. "Is there any health-related reason you may not be able to perform the job for which you are applying?" (You may ask, "Can you perform the essential functions of the job for which you are applying?" and "Can you demonstrate to me how you would perform those functions?")
Forbidden Questions-Economic status
16. "Have you ever had your wages garnished?"
17. "Do you own your own home?"
18. "How long do you plan to work on this job?"
19. "Have you ever filed for bankruptcy?"
20. "Have you ever had your name changed?"
21. "What is your maiden name?" (You may ask, "Is there any additional information we need about your name to verify your employment/education record?")
22. "Who is the relative to be notified in case of emergency?" [You may ask, "Who should we notify in case of emergency?"]
23. "Are you married?"
24. "Do you have children?"
25. "Do you plan to get pregnant?"
Reprinted with permission. Copyright/Business & Legal Reports, HR Daily Advisor, October 2, 2008.
Notice: This article is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It has been provided to member schools with the understanding that ACSI is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax, or other professional services. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional should be sought. Laws vary by jurisdiction, and the specific application of laws to particular facts requires the advice of an attorney.
Association of Christian Schools International
|Download||Interview Checklist - The 25 Forbidden Questions|