CHRISTIAN SCHOOL CRISIS MANAGEMENT PLAN
1. CHAIN OF COMMAND
3. BOMB THREAT: (CODE YELLOW)
4. TORNADO/SEVERE WEATHER: (CODE GREY)
6. ARMED INTRUDER (LOCKDOWN): (CODE RED)
7. STUDENT WITH A WEAPON: (CODE RED)
8. INJURY PROCEDURE
9. EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS
CHAIN OF COMMAND
During an actual crisis the following personnel are responsible to ensure that all actions of the Crisis Management Plan are carried out in their entirety. This responsibility normally falls on the first person listed, but will move down the chain of command if more senior people are not present in the building at the time of the crisis.
- The Administrator
- The Assistant Principals
- The Athletic Director
- The Administrative Assistant
FIRE DRILL PROCEDURES
At the sound of the fire alarm the following actions should be taken:
- Teacher should take their computer or grade/attendance sheet in hand.
- Teacher should lead students outside to the assigned gathering point using the assigned door. Students should not bring anything with them except any jacket or purse that they have with them. The room lights should be durned out and the door closed when the last student is out of the room. Students should walk in single file with no talking.
- Any student who is in the front office when the alarm sounds will remain in the office and proceed outside with the office personnel. Any student who is in the bathroom or hallway should immediately proceed outside and rejoin their class.
- When the class reaches its assigned gathering point, the teacher immediately takes attendance. If a student is missing, the teacher should notify the administration immediately so that the student can be located.
- Teachers and students stand quietly in line until word is given from the administration that it is safe to re-enter the building.
- In the event there is an obstacle blocking your escape route, go to the closest exit. Once outside the teacher should proceed to their assigned gathering point.
- In the event that the route to the assigned gathering point is blocked, immediately proceed to the alternate gathering point.
- In the event that an alarm sounds before, between or after class or during lunch, students and teachers should immediately exit the building and proceed to the gathering point using the closest door. Once there the students should gather with their grade level. If teachers are in the immediate vicinity of their room and are able to safely retrieve their computer or attendance sheet they should do so. Regardless of whether or not they have their computer or attendance sheet teachers (class sponsors) should take attendance to the best of their ability and inform the administration if they are missing a student.
- The designated staff members are assigned the following responsibilities during a fire emergency:
- The Assistant Principals and Athletic Director will check that the building is clear.
- The Administrative Assistant will check with teachers to be sure all are accounted for and then report to the Administrator.
BOMB THREAT EVACUATION PLAN
The following procedures will go into effect as soon as it is known that a bomb exists, or is reported to exist, in the school building.
- The person answering the phone and receiving the bomb threat should use the Bomb Threat Action Sheet to get as much information as possible before the caller hangs up. A copy of the action sheet should be kept near the phone.
- The person receiving the bomb threat should notify the Administrator as soon as possible and should provide the Administrator with all pertinent information. If the office staff cannot reach the administrator they should initiate the following steps. Then notify the church office.
- Call 911 and inform the police of the bomb threat.
- A "Code Yellow" should be given over the intercom to notify the staff a bomb threat was received. This is done by announcing twice over the intercom "There is a code yellow meeting in the library after school"
- The teachers and staff should quickly check their areas for any "strange boxes or packages. Make sure all cell phones are turned off and not used until further notice. Do not let this check delay your departure from the building. Make sure all book bags are accounted for. Do Not Touch any suspicious package. Report them to the Administration after everyone has left the building.
- The Administrator (or staff) will sound the fire alarm and clear the building. Students and staff will leave the building using the normal Fire Drill procedures with the exception that everyone should move as far away as possible from the building.
- The Administrative Staff will check to ensure everyone has left the building.
- Teacher / Staff will make a roll check to ensure everyone is accounted for. Names of missing students / staff will be relayed to Administrator.
- The Administrator will meet with police, fire and public safety officials when they arrive and assist them as needed.
- After the search is completed, the Administrator and local officials will determine if the building should be reentered.
- If the school cannot be reentered, the students will be moved to the closest available facility that can house them. (field across the street)
- Students will reenter the building when directed by the administrator or school staff personnel. No electronic devices shall be used to recall students into the building.
- The Administrator or designated person will inform the School Board, media and parents of the nature of the incident.
________ CHRISTIAN SCHOOL
BOMB THREAT ACTION SHEET
REMAIN CALM!! REMAIN CALM!!
Things to ask the caller:
1. ASK THE CALLER TO REPEAT INITIAL STATEMENT.
2. LOCATION OF THE BOMB:
A. INSIDE BUILDING
B. OUTSIDE BUILDING
3. WHEN WILL THE BOMB GO OFF? __________________________
4. WHAT TYPE OF BOMB?
PIPE ( ) BOX ( ) BAG ( )
5. HOW LARGE / WHAT TYPE OF EXPLOSIVES? _________________________________________________________
6. TIMER OR REMOTE DETONATION? _________________________________________________________
7. WHY CALLER IS DOING THIS. (VERY IMPORTANT)
8. LISTEN FOR:
B. TYPE OF SPEECH
C. BACKGROUND NOISE
D. MALE / FEMALE
E. ADULT / CHILD
F. SOBER / DRUNK
9. CALL THE ADMINISTRATOR AND INFORM THEM OF THE BOMB THREAT PROVIDING AS MUCH SPECIFIC INFORMATION AS POSSIBLE (BOMB LOCATION, WHEN IT WILL GO OFF, WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE, ETC)
If a Tornado Watch (weather conditions are right for the formation of tornadoes) is in effect the following actions will be taken:
- The school office personnel shall continuously monitor the weather using the following methods:
- Emergency Weather receiver
- (your city or county)_ NOAA website
- Inform the Administrator that a Tornado Watch is in effect.
- If a school field trip is scheduled, consider postponing it.
If a Tornado Warning (tornado has been sighted in the Tampa Bay area visually or on radar) is in effect, the following actions will be taken:
- Inform the Administrator of the Tornado Warning.
- Office personnel shall continue to monitor weather.
- All students must be brought into the building.
- Ensure all outside doors are closed.
If a tornado has been sighted or reported to be in the vicinity of _______Christian School, the following actions will be taken:
- Announce "Code Grey, Code Grey, teachers take your students into the hallway" over the intercom system.
- All students and staff will leave the gym and the classrooms and proceed to the east end of the first floor hallway.
- Everyone will sit in the hallway where floors and walls meet and take a protective seated position with hands/arms covering the head and face. Students and staff should avoid sitting near doors and windows.
School Bus: During a tornado warning, the bus driver should take the following steps:
- Stop at the closest available building which can be used as a shelter. Get students inside until the "all clear" is announced.
- Advise students to seek cover and place themselves in a protected position, covering their head and face.
- If suitable shelter is not available, have the students disembark and lie flat in the lowest area available.
When a hurricane is reported to be approaching the Tampa Bay area, the following actions should be taken:
- Inform parents and faculty that ____ Christian School will follow the same closure schedule as the __________ School District and that information regarding the reopening of ______Christian School will be broadcast on local television, radio stations, website, phone tree and email.
- Secure all loose items outside the school.
- Ensure all windows and doors are shut.
- Cover computer equipment and TV/VCR's with trash bags. Take all electronics off the floor.
- Put important academic materials inside cabinets or desks.
- Verify the Administrative Assistant has an up-to-date list of all staff phone numbers.
- Classroom teachers should take home with them a list of phone number for all their students.
When the hurricane has passed, ____ Christian School will normally reopen at the same time as the ______ District Schools. If possible, ____ Christian School may reopen earlier or later than the ¬¬¬¬¬¬______ District Schools. This will be communicated to parents via local television and radio stations and phone calls to the parents.
ARMED INTRUDER PROCEDURES
If an armed intruder is observed on the school grounds or inside the school building, this should be reported to the school office immediately. Report the number of intruders, their location and the weapons they possess.
The school receptionist will immediately inform the administrator and the following actions will be taken:
- Announce "THERE WILL BE A CODE RED MEETING IN THE LIBRARY AFTER SCHOOL". This announcement will be given twice.
- Using cell phones give Code Red announcement to any teachers and classes that are outside of the building.
- Call 911.
- Lock all office doors, cover rear door window, turn off all lights, stay near the back of the office out of sight of the front windows and monitor phone.
- Notify the church office.
Upon hearing the CODE RED announcement the following actions will be taken:
ADMINISTRATIVE PERSONNEL (includes Administrator, Athletic Director, and Assistant Principals)
- Lock all exterior doors.
- Ensure that all classes that are outside have received the Code Red message and have come inside. If intruder is in building, they should find a safe place outside.
- Ensure that all classes in the gym have received the Code Red message.
- If the intruder is outside the building, monitor the doors from a safe location and admit only the police or other authorized personnel.
- Check the hallway outside your classroom and get any students in the hallway inside your classroom. If your classroom is the closest one to the restroom, check the restroom and get any student in the restroom inside your room.
- Lock the classroom door and cover the window in the door.
- Close window blinds.
- Turn off the lights.
- Seat students along the inner wall away from doors and windows.
- Remain calm. Take an accurate count of students and their names. Do not attempt to contact anybody about any of your students that are missing since students in the hallway and restrooms will go to the closest classroom.
- Turn on your cell phone if you have one.
- Wait for information regarding the intruder.
- Keep doors locked until appropriate announcement has been made.
- The lockdown will end when any one of the administrative staff announces that "THE CODE RED MEETING HAS BEEN CANCELLED."
STUDENT WITH A WEAPON
If a student with a weapon is observed on the school grounds the following actions should be taken:
- Immediately inform the school office. Report name of student, location and type of weapon.
- The Administrative personnel will immediately activate the Armed Intruder on Campus Procedure.
- Get other students away from the area.
- Do not confront student alone.
If any person is injured the following actions should be taken:
- If the person cannot or should not be moved, notify the office at once. Do not leave the person unattended. Send someone to the office or use the intercom system. Inform the office of the type and extent of the injury.
- If the person can be moved, notify the office that you are bringing or sending them to the office. A student should be accompanied by the teacher (if another teacher is available to watch the class) or by at least one mature, responsible student. Make sure that whoever accompanies the injured student is able to explain exactly what happened and the extent of the injury.
- When the office is informed of an injured person who cannot be brought to the office, the administrator should be informed and have one of the school's first-aid qualified personnel proceed to the scene with a first aid kit to provide assistance. The first-aid provider should follow the proper procedures for blood-borne pathogens if the person is bleeding.
- When an injured student is brought to the office the Administrative Assistant should provide the necessary first-aid, being sure to follow the proper procedures for blood-borne pathogens if the student is bleeding. If the injury is serious the administrator should be informed.
- If the injury is life-threatening or requires immediate medical assistance 911 should be called immediately and the church office should be notified that an ambulance is on the way.
- The office will notify the parents of the injury as soon as possible and comply with the parents wishes for further medical treatment.
- The injured student's teacher will fill out an accident report and turn it into the office as soon as possible.
- If the injury is severe enough to require professional medical treatment the administrator will conduct an investigation and get written statements from those who observed the injury. The administrator will then contact the parent to check on the condition of the injured student, inform them of the exact circumstances of the accident, and also inform them of the available school's medical insurance coverage.
FIRE DEPARTMENT: 911
PINELLAS COUNTY EMS: 911
_________ HOSPITAL (downtown): (phone number)
POISON CONTROL CENTER: 1-800-222-1222
Church contacts -
Other Contacts -
Notice: This article is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It has been provided to member schools with the understanding that ACSI is not engaged in rendering legal, accounting, tax or other professional service. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought. Laws vary by jurisdiction and the specific application of laws to particular facts requires the advice of an attorney.
Association of Christian Schools International
731 Chapel Hills Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80920