Certification, Application, and Christian Philosophy of Education FAQs
Why does ACSI provide certification?
What levels of certificates does ACSI offer?
I have a current state teaching certificate, will that count for anything?
Are there certificates for the various grade levels and subject areas?
Can more than one subject be included on the same certificate?
What certificates are available for administrators?
The purpose of ACSI Certification is to strengthen Christian schools by credentialing educators who meet established professional and biblical requirements which promotes continued professional learning and increased effectiveness.
- Temporary: A two-year certificate for individuals who do not meet all education, biblical, and/or philosophy rquirements for an ACSI Standard certificate. This certificate allows teahcers to get started on the path to professional development.
- Standard: A five-year certificate for those who have completed the education, biblical, and philosophy rquirements
- Professional: A five-year certificate for those who have a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college/university and have completed the necessary education, biblical, and philosophy rquirements.
- Lifetime: A Lifetime certificate will be issued after 10 years at the Professional level, submission of renewal requirements, and verification of 10 years working in a Christian school setting.
A current state teaching certificate will be accepted for meeting most education requirements at the Standard level if it is at the same grade level(s) and teaching area in which you wish to be certified. [Top]
Yes. Submit official or unofficial transcripts which include your name, the college name and location, degree received, and date degree was awarded. This information must be printed on the transcript by the college. ACSI does not accept copies of diplomas as verification of a degree.
- Elementary for grades K–8
- Secondary, subject(s) specific for grades 7–12
- All Levels K–12: Art, Bible, Computer, ELL, Foreign Language, Library/Media, Music, Physical Education, Reading, School Counseling, Special Education, Athletic Director
Yes. A teaching area is given with 36 semester hours of college credit coursework. An endorsement is given with a minimum of 20 semester hours of college credit coursework. [Top]
ACSI offers the following administrative certificates:
- Elementary Principal
- Secondary Principal
- All Levels Principal
- Head of School (for administrators with an education background)
- Assistant Administrator (Curriculum Coordinator, Academic Dean, Director of Instruction, Director of Professional Development, etc.)
- Executive Director (for those coming into administration from a field other than education) [Top]
The application can be accessed on the Certification Documents page.
Submit a completed application along with the fee, official or unofficial transcripts which include your name, the college name and location, degree received, and date degree was awarded printed by the college, and a current state certificate (optional). If you do not qualify for an ACSI certificate due to incomplete information, your materials will be returned with a letter identifying information needed.
- Credit Card:
Payment processed with the ACSI Online Certification Application. Credit card payments will only be accepted through the online application.
- Check or Money Order (made payable to ACSI):
Complete the ACSI Printable Certification Application and mail along with required documentation and fee to:
731 Chapel Hills Dr.
Colorado Springs, CO 80920
Attached to the bottom half of your certificate you will find your renewal and upgrade requirements listed.
What options do I have for meeting the Christian Philosophy of Education (CPoE) requirement?
What is the alternative model for the CPoE requirement?
How does the school apply for "CPoE Alternative Model" approval?
There are three options for meeting the requirement.
- Complete the ACSI CPoE checklist*
*The previous philosophy checklist which included The Philosophy of Christian Education series by Dr. Derek Keenan, as well as the ACSI Truth Project Philosophy Option completed through an ACSI approved site facilitator, will be accepted until September 1, 2018. Older philosophy checklists which include series by Dr. Jack Layman or Dr. Ollie Gibbs are no longer accepted.
- Complete an ACSI-approved course from an acccredited college/university
- Complete your school's CPoE Alternative Model
The alternative model for the Christian Philosophy of Education requirement is a more flexible approach for schools to utilize for their faculty and administration. This unique approach may be especially appropriate for an online school, international school, or any school who wishes to use the expertise of a staff member or guest lecturer to present material in lieu of the video presentations. In order to have an approved Alternative CPoE, a school must design and submit a plan that provides a similar amount of material and covers both the Christian philosophy and biblical integration components. The school may choose to include any of the current video/book/writing requirements as a part of their alternative model or have completely different requirements. The plan and checklist must be submitted to the ACSI Academic Services department for approval. The school may be required to add missing components, if necessary, before final approval is granted. This model has a fee associated with it for the approval process. The school checklist will be filed with the ACSI Certification department and be good for 5 years.
Fill out the online application and submit it with payment to the ACSI Academic Services department. Once the plan is received it will be reviewed for thoroughness and, if approved, an email sent notifying the school of acceptance. The plan will also be registered with the ACSI Certification department.