Northeast Student Activities—Elementary Speech Meets
Participating in a Speech Meet helps elementary students develop effective public speaking skills in an audience situation. Students do not compete against one another; they are judged against established criteria.
- Develop techniques to speak audibly, articulately, expressively, and with poise and confidence.
- Develop communication skills that contribute to effective leadership.
- Demonstrate ability by verbally presenting a memorized poem, speech, or passage to the audience.
|March 13, 2020||Eastern PA/DE||Allentown, PA||1-6|
|March 19, 2020||CT/WMA||North Stonington, CT||1-5|
|March 20, 2020||Western PA||Hollsopple, PA||1-6|
- Please complete the Spring Events Registration Form with the $60 school registration fee by October 31, 2019.
- The student participation fees of $10.00 per entry will be due two weeks prior to the event.
|Category of Presentation||Grades||Source of Materials|
|Poetry||1-6||ACSI Poetry Sampler or appropriate material using ACSI guildelines.|
|Bible Memorization||1-6||ACSI Bible Memorization Sampler or other Bible passages.|
|Fable/Folklore||2-4||ACSI Fable/Forklore Sampler or appropriate material using ACSI guidelines.|
|Patriotic Oration||5-6||ACSI Patriotic Oration Sampler or appropriate material using ACSI guidelines.|
|Dramatic Bible Prose||5-6||ACSI Dramatic Bible Prose Sampler or other Bible passages.|
|Original Speech||5-6||Student-generated speech using ACSI guidelines.|
2019/2020 Coordinator Resources
Once registration has closed, the coordinator listed on your registration form will receive preparation details, including the passwords for the resources.
|Elementary Speech Meet Coordinator Handbook||Student Fee Form|
|Student Participation Form—Plan A||Judges Recommendation Form|
|Student Participation Form—Plan B||Elementary Speech Meet Judges’ Handbook|
Student samplers for the speech meet are listed below. The readings referenced in these samplers are not required readings, but examples of acceptable material. Please contact your school Speech Meet Coordinator for the passwords.
Chairperson Resources are available for those hosting an Elementary Speech Meet.