ACSI is at the forefront of advocating a space for Christian education. ACSI regularly submits formal communications to policymakers, elected officials, and courts which address various concerns and legislation affecting religious education, nonprofits, and religious freedom. We partner with like-minded organizations to increase our voice on important issues.
ACSI members are provided with frequent updates and talking points on current issues in Washington, D.C. These highlights are designed to keep you informed and give you valuable insights for prayer and interaction with legislators.
- 07.01.22 Update includes new school choice bill introduced; SCOTUS decides historic school choice case and overturns Roe(!); new Executive Order on transgenderism; new Title IX regulations finally proposed.
- 06.15.22 Update includes anticipated school choice Supreme Court decision; expected new Title IX regulations; school mental health/security services in newly expected bill; ACSI Washington Summit.
- 06.01.22 Update includes school choice Supreme Court decision expected; Title IX anniversary (6/23) and a revised USDE rule to be issued; House bill re: women in sports; reflections on pride month.
- 05.16.22 Update includes House passage of Community Services Block Grant Act reauthorization; ACSI joins coalition letter to include religious providers; Vote results; Title IX legislation; PP&A Summit.
- 05.02.22 Update includes Congress returns from break; ACSI comment on Title VIII proposed guidance; waiting on Title IX regulations; May’s PPA Webinar.
Access Current Issues
(Member Only Resource)
ACSI is active in the legislative process by signing coalition letters, communicating with elected officials and the media, sending out legal alerts explaining the issues to stakeholders, and voter voice emails, making it easy for constituents to let legislators know their viewpoint and why.
ACSI makes a persuasive case before a judge by means of a friend of the court brief (amicus brief). This is an important method for having a voice in the judicial branch. This is usually a collaborative effort whereby multiple groups that agree with a particular line of argument present a unified case to the court for consideration. ACSI has signed many amicus briefs with others, some of which the Supreme Court has cited in their rulings.
Coalition and Legislative Letters
- 07.26.22 Coalition Letter to Oppose HR 8404 (Respect for Marriage Act)
- 05.10.22 Coalition Letter to full U.S. House, Community Services Block Grant (Charitable Choice)
- 04.04.22 Virginia – Coalition Letter to Support Gov Signing HB 1063 (religious conduct)
- 03.14.22 Coalition Letter to House Ed Cmte, Community Services Block Grant (Charitable Choice)
- 03.17.22 Coalition Letter to Sen. Lankford for Committee Hearing (Universal Charitable Deduction)
- 02.03.22 Virginia – Testimony in House Subcommittee to Support HB 753 (religious freedom/SOGI)
- 01.26.22 Virginia – Testimony in Senate Committee to Support SB 177 (religious freedom/SOGI)
- 12.06.21 Charities' Priorities – UCD Letter to House Committees
- 12.01.21 BBB - Faith Community Coalition Letter
- 11.16.21 CAPE Letter on BBB's UPK/Childcare provisions in the Reconciliation Bill (House)
- 11.16.21 CAPE Letter on BBB's UPK/Childcare provisions in the Reconciliation Bill (Senate)
- 02.24.21 ACSI-AACS Joint Statement on Equality Act
- 02.15.21 Illinois - ACSI Statement on Teacher Certification
- 02.08.21 West Virginia – Coalition Support for School Choice (ESA bill)
- 12.18.20 Virginia - Statement of Support for Religious Freedom
More information from ADF
- 12.09.20 Charitable Giving Coalition (Universal Charitable Deduction)
- 06.25.20 CARES Act Equitable Services
- 04.08.19 ACSI Letter to House Subcommittee (Equality Act)
- 04.08.19 Coalition Letter to Subcommittee of Education and Labor Committee(Equality Act)
- 04.01.19 Coalition Letter to House Judiciary Committee (Equality Act)
- 01.20.22 Lynn Starkey v. Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis, Inc. et al on the merits in the US Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit Court (Title VII Religious Exemption/Ministerial Exception)
- 09.10.21 Requesting the US Supreme Court to take Carson v. Makin (Religion Clauses/Equal Protection/School Choice – Maine)
- 09.03.21 Regarding The Trustees of the New Life in Christ Church v. City of Fredericksburg, Virginia (Religious Autonomy)
- 09.02.21 Requesting the US Supreme Court take the case of Seattle’s Gospel Union Mission v. Matthew S. Woods (Ministerial Exception)
- 08.31.21 Requesting the US Supreme Court take the case of Gordon College et. al., v. Margaret DeWeese-Boyd (Ministerial Exception)
- 06.21.21 Regarding Maxon v. Fuller Theological Seminary (Title IX Religious Exemption)
- 07.08.20 US Supreme Court Decision on Our Lady of Guadalupe School v. Agnes Morrissey-Berru (Ministerial Exception)
- 06.30.20 US Supreme Court Decision on Espinoza v. Montana Department of Revenue (School Choice)
ACSI Legal Alerts and Memos on Court Decisions
These member-only notices provide facts regarding important court cases, implications for Christian schools, and calls to action. The most recent Legal Alerts and Memos are as follows:
- 01.26.22 - ACSI Advisory - US Supreme Court Stops Biden Admin Vaccine Mandate OSHA Withdraws ETS
- 12.17.21 ACSI Memo on UPK/Child Care in Congress - Make Your Voice Heard
- 11.09.21 Fisher Phillips Memo - Schools & OSHA ETS Vaccine Mandate
- UPDATED GUIDANCE 06.17.21 ACSI - COVID Relief - Emergency Connectivity Fund Program - ECFP - May 2021
- 04.29.22 ESEA Title VIII Proposed Guidance (Equitable Services)
- 06.10.21 Title IX Hearing (Religious Liberty/SOGI)
- 04.26.21 ARP EANS Implementation
- 02.18.21 SBA Loan and Disaster Assistance Programs (Religious Liberty)
- 12.17.20 Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) Draft Revised Enforcement Guidance on Religious Discrimination
- 10.26.20 DHS Foreign Student Extension of Stay Proposed Rule (F-1 Student Visas)
- 07.31.20 IFR CARES Act Equitable Services
- 02.20.20 Public Hearing on IRS SALT (Payments made to Charitable Entities)
- 01.31.20 IRS SALT (Payments
made to Charitable Entities)
- 02.18.21 Rep. Bishop Press Release on School Choice with ACSI Support
- 12.17.20 Michigan Member School Op Ed - Religious Freedom
- 09.20.20 Fox News Article - ACSI speaks into national funding needs for private schools
- 06.26.17 Press Release regarding Trinity Lutheran SCOTUS Ruling