“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”Benjamin Franklin
For over 15 years, ACSI has been helping schools prevent potential legal action through the Legal Defense Reimbursement (LDRP) Fund. Through this practical program, ACSI provides pre-dismissal and preadmission legal counsel, up to $750, to participating schools before a decision is made that could place a school at legal risk. The annual service also provides up to $35,000 in reimbursement of attorneys' fees and litigation costs the school must pay due to certain types of employee or student legal claims or lawsuits.
The LDRP program covers such suits or claims as:
- Student evaluation, discipline or graduation practices
- Suspension or dismissal of a student
- Failure of the school to meet standards of student educational preparation
- Discriminatory conduct toward students
- Employee references; breach of employee contracts
- Employee EEOC or state agency charges of discrimination
Lawsuits not covered by the program include those where there is a physical injury to an employee or student, workers' compensation action or proceeding, or a sexual act directed against a student or employee. A school must follow the procedures outlined in the Indemnity Agreement to qualify for reimbursement. While the program is not an insurance policy and does not provide any casualty payments for a lawsuit, the annual fee of $325 for this service is well worth the value and peace of mind it can bring!
Questions about participation in the LDRP can be addressed by contacting the ACSI Legal Legislative Issues Department at 719.528.6906, ext. 201.
Access these LDRP Member Resources Requires Login
- LDRP Indemnity Agreement 2020-2021
- LDRP Membership Letter 2020-2021 from Attorney John L. Cooley
- LDRP Claim Form